View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 AM
WMUTeach

I had a DNA test for medical reasons but in addition, I found out that I have a small but statistically significant heritage from a population that has a greater incidence of some cancers, hair color and penchant for turning silvery gray. So, yes, I learned that group put me in higher risk category but I also learned that other heritage groups counter balanced the negative potential. I did not know that I had the middle European Jewish heritage. It made sense after tying my DNA info with the physical location of one of the branches of a grandfather who immigrated to the US in the early 1900's. Maybe that is why I like to make challah and get goosebumps when I here music sung in Hebrew! My DNA is being activated.

Mostly my experience was just fun finding out about my unknown inherited background and how it related to my chances of particular medical conditions. The info came back to me as percentages from different population groups from Europe, Ireland/England and a couple of others. I bet a DNA search for country of origin would be even more fun! For $100 I would do it, but I have all the info now to satisfy my "need to know".