View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
mpeters1200

Several questions.

Fusible huh....so I'm ironing or pressing on. That I can do. I don't mind applique, so at least I know how to press stuff together.

The tricot? sounds a bit complicated with "grains". Whoever made the first long, detailed post (I can't see who in this screen), thank you for the details. I am cutting my "squares" of tshirts a few inches bigger than I need and press the stabilizer to that. That I can do. So, then, after it's pressed I cut them down to what I need. I then sew them together, with the stabilizer on still right? Is there a time in which I would take it off or is it forever in the life of the quilt? I probably won't quilt them, unless it's a stitch in the ditch kind of thing. They will probably be tie tacked.

All of these tshirts almost look more like polos. They have cuffs on the sleeves and 2 or 3 buttons by the collar. Some have pockets on the chest, others don't. All of them were his work shirts so they are extremely muted and faded earth tones with "LAYS" written above the pocket, if there is one. He didn't own any other shirts. They were all his work shirts. I was thinking about using a strip from the shirt approx. the size and shape of a piece of paper with the logo on it, then using coping strips of plain cotton around it. Then I have this decorator fabric. I was thinking about adding blues and stuff and giving it color that way. Applique isn't a horrible idea....but he didn't have a lot of hobbies. He was a good man and a hard worker.

I'm assuming if I go into JoAnn's I'll be able to ask about this tricot stuff. I'm assuming I can get a bolt of other non-tricot stabilizers too. I'm hoping I can catch the people at JoAnn's at the right time. Some of their associates don't do anything but cut stuff off a bolt all day and have no opinion on what is actually helpful. I almost always check here first. But I like you all so much better! ;-)