Old 03-01-2017, 01:10 AM
Sleepy Hollow

Default Baby quilt for friend's nephew (Seahawks, kind of)

A friend asked if I'd be willing to make a couple quilts for her brothers (both having babies, one boy, one unknown).

She sent me a photo of a quilt she liked, but was hoping I could use a few pieces of Seahawks fabric, along with whatever I had in my stash to match. I bought some licensed fabric in three colors, and then dug out whatever lime green and navy blue I had. I went through squares from the I-Spy swaps and found a chicken (she raises chickens, so thought it would be a special touch). I told her if I could add a little yellow, and maybe some purple, I could sneak that chicken square in there. She said anything but pink I was also able to use some scraps that Zozee sent me for winning one of her guessing games.

I'm still new to quilting, and because it's going to be for a baby, to someone I barely know (I went to high school with her, and remember her brothers, but wasn't friends with them), I wanted to make absolute certain it all holds up. I used a 3/8" seam and did a double stitch on the squares. It made calculating the width of the borders a little more difficult (subtracting 3/4" instead of 1/2" for seam allowance) but I was happy to get it right on the first try.

Now I just need to make a sandwich with some fat quarters to practice my quilting on a machine! (I have only hand quilted anything with a batting. The two quilts I have machine quilted were only backed with fleece.)

I'll probably take the practice piece to the quilting group next week (if I don't get called in to work) and ask them to help me get started.

I'll update when I get it all finished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569163[/ATTACH]

Closeups I took when I was laying out the quilt:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569164[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569165[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails leslie-quilt-top.jpg   leslie-quilt-center.jpg   leslie-quilt-closeup.jpg