Old 03-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Sleepy Hollow

Thank you

Having some local women willing to teach me is a such a valuable resource. One of the women I quilt with just turned 100 recently! Another one introduced me to this board... And then there is my mom, who can do anything!

Part of the reason I did the 3/8" seam was to work more on getting straight stitches as well. With the 3/8" foot, I am still over both feed dogs and have two lines I can use to judge my seam allowance, the foot and the line of the hole where the feed dogs sit. With the long borders on this quilt, and the way they have to be "just right" in order for my squares to match up, I wanted to give myself a little more help. I was able to get a foot that has the 1/4" seam guide, so might try that and see if I like it on my next machine pieced quilt. Either way, I hope to advance to 1/4" seams soon!

And, completely unrelated, I like to listen to/watch French lessons while I'm quilting. One of last night's new words was "la libellule", which means "dragonfly". Dragonflies are my favorite insect, and there are dragonfly outlines in the light purple fabric. I'm hoping that a constant stream of French while I'm engaged in my hobby will make it easier for me to communicate with distant relatives in France, a family I hope to visit again.