View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Vicki1212

Crispy_Frog, I could have written your first post! It describes me to the T! A month ago, I sat in front of my computer and couldn't even motivate myself to ASK fellow quilters how to motivate myself! Like you, I would dream of making quilts during the day but be way too tired to physically do any sewing when I got home and too busy over the weekends. I am much better now and am making headway with my unfinished projects. This is what I did:

* I decluttered my sewing room, packing things away and dusting, making it a pleasant environment to be in.

* I made a point of putting time aside each day (minimum of 30 min) for 'me time', whether it was to sew or do something else (not house work!)

* Then if during this time, I looked at a quilt project and felt my mojo slipping, I would convince myself to just sew 5 pieces of fabric together. Once I had done the 5, I usually had the urge to just carry on going. If on occasion I didn't, then at least I had done 5 pieces.

* When I was finished for the day, I made a point of leaving my quilt (or blocks) on display in my sewing room so that each time I walked in, I would be motivated by what I had accomplished and have the desire to carry on.

The above steps worked really well for me and I have been happily reunited with my mojo!

NB: Your comment "Part of my problem is I don't think I'm good at piecing, so I avoid it. I'm a much better quilter in my imagination."

Remember, most quilts (I would even go so far as to say ALL quilts) have imperfections of some sort. The most important thing to remember is that you are not making the quilt in the pursuit of perfection, you are making it because it gives you pleasure. So what if the seams don't match, so what if your points have disappeared......so what! Stitch it all together, revel in the quilting and every time you snuggle under your quilt, remember that it was something you ENJOYED creating! And believe me, gifted 'imperfect' quilts are just loved and loved and loved some more by the lucky recipients!

Last edited by Vicki1212; 03-02-2017 at 10:52 PM.