Thread: Art quilts?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Bethy

Some of the eclectic quilting and fiber art quilting are a bit outrageous to most quilters who are traditionalist. Many more of us are traditional quilters and enjoy it very much and our quilts are beautiful. Depending on the area of the country and how brave or determined a person is about their art will depend mainly on what they will eventually receive for their work. Most any of your family members will tell you that you are not charging enough for your quilts and truth be known you aren't, but we see all the little mistakes that we make and whether we realize it or not most of us are perfectionists. People who have lived art and loved artistic talents don't seem to have the problem asking for the prices because they realise that their work is one of a kind and it is art and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To them they see the beauty in their art and are very confident in themselves.
I'm a realist and realize that most people in my neck of the woods can't afford the high end and so I know that if I want to sell my stuff then I have to realize the value of the dollar where I'm at. If I want more, then I have to go where the value is higher. I'm just now starting to realize that even the best quilters around have their bad day quilts, but the ones that they put out there for juries- shows also know that their quilts are the very best and worth the awards and the attached price. I personally liked quite a few of those quilts shown on that FunQuilts site and I have subscriptions to Quilt Arts Magazine and Cloth,Paper and Scissors Magazine, which are both fiber art and quilting mix. Sometimes the stuff on that web site will blow you away at the wow art and the price. People buy it. Art and beauty are in the eye of the beholder. Just hope the eyes have the pocket books to match. LOL Bethy