View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 12:02 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

Before I purchased my first long arm I took a ( certification class) where you learned the machine then could rent time. After having my own a couple years I started offering the same class. To me-- well worth it.
We start with learning the machine, buttons, features. Learn to thread it, wind bobbins, clean it, apply oil, basic maintenance. Then learn to load a quilt.
Then we do a practice quilt. Learn to use the stitch regulator, cruise control and free motion ( no stitch regulation) recognize tension issues and adjust the tension, choose the right threads.
mark a quilt,free hand and with a stencil, then quilt the marked area, try out the laser and a pantograph. My certificate class is 4 hours ( generally) if we do our practice quilt and there is time and desire the ( student) can load and quilt a small quilt they brought with them.
People learn and become comfortable at different rates so sometimes there is not time for that. Sometimes people take to it very quickly and love it, sometimes people decide its work ( hard on shoulders, knees, back) they are too tense and hate it. Everyone is different. I highly recommend the class if you think you would like to rent time / quilt your own quilts or if you have been considering purchase. It is no fun to jump into that ( very large investment) only to find you hate the process.
after finishing the class, when you make an appointment to rent time you are not just dropped in blind, on your own. I'm always here- I help load the quilt ( it is a time consuming process that goes faster with two) and I'm here for any questions, trouble shooting, issues that may arise. I don't hover- I'm usually across the room at my sewing machine, working on my own project but am available for anything that might be a problem.
I have one person who's been coming in to quilt her own quilts for 14 years now- she can not thread the needle, has never been able to, so I'm here to do that for her in the beginning and if her thread breaks.

Last edited by ckcowl; 03-04-2017 at 12:12 PM.