View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 12:53 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Watson ... I think you have been given some good insights from CKCowl and Dunster. I have never rented time, but have inquired, and asked many of the questions related to the outlines they have given you in the previous posts. My biggest concerns when I did inquire was how much would I be turned loose later on? ... or how much assistance would I get? I am sure a lot of it depends on how fast you adapt and learn.

Not everyone is a "good" teacher/instructor, and do you know the local person enough to have a sense of that Knowing how small communities are, and complications that can arise if there was a bad experience, before signing up, I would consider, what if the worst case scenario happens? Would I be able to meet her on the street? and could I be civil about my experience to this person? and others in the community who would be interested to know how it went?

To start the process, I would phone and ask to come to her studio, to ask questions and let her explain more to you as to how the lesson(s) would work as well as the rentals later. In doing so, I think you would have a good sense as to how comfortable you would be working with her and in the home set up. At the same time, be sure to see the work she has done and check whether it is to my personal standards. If I am not happy with that ... could I accept instruction from her?

As for the initial class ... you would have that experience and know whether you have an interest in continuing on further. Or know it is not for you!

It'd be all win-win for you .... a terrific way to try out a LA without investing.
And a way to have a LA, without investing!

I know there are some here in the province that offer the same. You could call some of them, and question as to what their lessons include. At least then, you have a somewhat local (meaning Ontario) perspective for comparison to your local person's offerings.

Good Luck!