Old 04-05-2008, 06:58 AM
quilt_mommy_2001

I use tracing paper because it's inexpensive and works well for me. I also don't mind too much if a little bit of paper lives for all of eternity wedged between a few stubborn stitches! Lol* As long as it doesn't make a crinkly crunch sound when I cuddle up with my quilt, I'm good!

I use computer paper occasionally, but I perforate the lines before sewing. That is key for getting the heavier paper to rip off well. Just take the thread out of your machine, and stitch along the lines of your pattern. I'm pretty lazy though, so, when I can avoid having to do extra work I do - so the tracing paper works for me. Then I don't have to perforate ahead of time, the small stitches are usually enough to loosen it up well, so that when I'm ready to rip it comes right off.

I haven't tried the more expensive Carol Doak paper, is it water soluable? For my purpose's, it's not really necessary, but I can see how on some projects that would be a real advantage. Just have to decide what's right for you, your budget, and what you're making. :)