View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Rhondals

Default Basting Ack! It's baffling

I finished Mr. Chillingsowrth. He is 62x59. I tried basting it, and the quilt won. I tried pin basting and I thought it had too much gaps.I bought 505 spray, and it was fair but I realized my back (which I know should be 4 inches larger) wasn't large enough. I didn't spray the top batting, just the bottom side of the batting. I don't mind buying more batting, and certainly quilt backing at 108 inches wide.

I looked on youtube, and even on Leah Day's website who I stalk. So after spending a few hours trying to baste it, I decided to take it to a shop to be quilted, or atleast basted. I have an idea how I want to quilt it, but my machine, a Janome New Home 2014 doesn't have a long throat. I can quilt it, but the quilt seems too large to try. I know how to quilt it,but basting it together, apparently I'm not very good at it. I've only made a baby quilt for a class, and I made a few smaller sized quilts, and one about the size of this one, but it's quilted fair.

So should I take it to the shop and let them quilt it? I can do binding, and I do it well. My next quilt will be sent out, it's much larger. I don't know how to baste something this large. (it covers the top of a queen sized bed, or the whole kitchen floor.) Do you send them to the quilter when they are this size, or do you do them yourself, if you have a home machine. I'm baffled I couldn't baste it.