Old 04-05-2008, 07:36 AM
quilt_mommy_2001

I'm a stay at home Mommy and am looking to make a few extra bucks to buy fabric with. I thought it'd be fun to teach basic quilting in my home, by bringing in people one on one, and having them make a wallhanging. Kind of a word of mouth type thing, friends of friends, that type of thing. I'd show them how to choose fabric, cut, sew, baste, quilt, and bind their wallhanging. Even how to make a hanging sleeve. I think it would have been wonderful if I could have done this to learn, what do you think? I'm not really looking to run any big business or anything, just to earn a few bucks to buy fabric.

Any of you teaching out there, do you have any suggestions as to what I might charge? I was thinking $10 an hour, and maybe meet once or twice a week, by appointment at their convenience. Is that too high? Any advice or tips for such a venture? The closest quilt shop is a bit more than a half of an hour away, so I don't think I'll step on any toes there. We don't have any other places in the area that teach quilting, so I thought that might be an advantage. What do you think?