View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Cactus Stitchin

What I have been doing to improve is to pick one area that I think needs the most improvement i.e. cutting, then I watch videos and read everything I can on that specific area and put what I learned to use on the next project I work on. I try to improve everything but really focus on that specific area that I chose to concentrate on. When I see substantial improvement in my cutting then I select another area such as 1/4" seams and repeat the process. Slowly and surely I am seeing improvements and feel my skill level is increasing. Sometimes to push myself I select a pattern or block that seems to be beyond me and focus on learning how to do that. It all helps. Gains may be incremental but at least I can see progress from one project to the next.

Lastly, I am learning not to beat myself up over perceived problems. A long time ago someone told me that no one sets out to fail and they have done the best they could at that time. So, I use those perceived short-comings to pick a new area to concentrate on improving and the cycle continues.