View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 01:05 PM
NJ Quilter

I agree is mostly about practicing. My LQS offers a 12 month sampler class that I think is great. There is an initial fee of usually about $25. You go to a short (15-30 min.) class each month. You are given cuts of fabric to make that month's block. Each month is a skill-builder. You get practice cutting the pieces you are given into smaller sub-cuts; practice sewing the various components. Some months are straight up piecing; some paper piecing; some machine embroidery; etc. Each month you go to the class with your previous month's block completed, you are given your new fabrics for free. If your block is not complete it's a nominal $5.00 fee for your new fabrics. Towards the end of the program you are given options for purchasing a 'finishing kit' to include sashing/borders/backing in various sizes.

I really enjoy the process. I'm not much of a 'sampler quilt' person, thus have not done one in a couple of years. But I find it keeps you in the sewing mood in addition to building your skills. And the girls at the shop are always available to help you over rough spots and they usually have extra bits of fabric for when you make booboos.

In a recent sewing room cleanup I found the one from 2013 and am only now finishing up that. Just picked up fabrics for the sashing/border/backing. Figure I'll have that to play with on Tues. during our forecasted snow storm!