Thread: April - Boom 18
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 07:35 PM
seasaw2mch

WOW!!!!! Ladies you have all done some beautiful blocks. I'm still hoping to get into the the next boom, I really miss all the pretty blocks you all make.

I have been working on making the quilts for the hospital beds and was hoping to have some pictures for you but the nurses that took the pictures still haven't sent me copies yet. I think I will have to get them to use my camera instead of their phones.

Since I am unable to stand it makes it really hard to cut the long strips I need & there is no way I can stretch the layers across the table to pin them together so hospice has found me a volunteer that will come by the house once a week to help me out with getting that part done. She is a very nice lady (I think she's my age) that has never done quilting before and wants to learn. This makes it a great opportunity for me & her. She helps me cut the parts that I can't do & lays the tops out and pins them & I get to show her how it's done.

It looks like I have enough blocks to make about 7 hospital bed quilts. I really don't need that many for myself so I'm thinking of donating some of them to the new Hospice home that they opened up. It's for the patients to use as needed when the caregiver needs a break. They bring their patient to the house where they have their own room & a 24 hour nursing care so the caregivers can take a break. I think it's a cool idea. I think they have a limit of a 1 week stay at a time. We all need breaks so this is great for those that don't have any other way to get a break.

By using the 12" blocks (15 to a quilt, 3 across & 5 down) 2" wide sahing and a 3" wide outside border, the quilts will measure 46" by 74". This size seems to be the best size for most people. I made one to try out on my bed and only made it 70" long and that is good for me because I'm short but I really think the extra 4" is better for most people.

So far I have pieced 4 quilt tops together, pictures coming soon. Eileen (the volunteer) is taking a vacation for the next 2 weeks so I will have to wait until she's back to get them pinned. She was able to help pin one before she left but I had to promise her I would wait until got back before I tied & bind it. She noticed that I was struggling with doing some of that and I have to agree it was really hard for me to do, so I will wait for her to get back. I still have some of the tops that I can put together so I'll stay busy. I can't work more then a couple of hours a day so it's all good.

I hope all is going well for all of you. I feels like things are looking up for me but only time will tell. Take care and enjoy those beautiful blocks.