View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

You are SO LUCKY!!! (Green with envy).

There are lots of good online instructors and books available. Angela Walters is great at teaching FMQ. However, most of the books and teachers end up doing a LOT of stitching... like you would see on show quilts. For me, it's overkill. I just want to get my quilts quilted, not smashed to smithereens by so much quilting. So I take their ideas and come up with hybrids of my own, that involve much less quilting.

The basic 'stipple' and 'loops' are the designs I use most. I have the JukiTL2010Q, but no frame. I just quilt on it like a regular machine. It takes practice to get nice fmq on your quilts. And to get used to how fast to move so your stitch length is good.

One thing I can tell you about the machine is that it's really great until lint builds up in the feed dogs, and then you will have lots of tension problems. To clean the feed dogs you have to remove the foot and unscrew the throat plate, which is a pain. Try and use thread with as little lint as possible so you wont have to do that cleaning as often. Mine goes haywire about every 2 bobbins of thread... but I was using a cotton thread that made a lot of lint. I'm experimenting with other threads right now to see if I can get less lint in the machine.