Old 04-05-2008, 10:04 AM
quilt_mommy_2001

Originally Posted by Moonpi
How are your neighbors and zoning? Are there restrictions against home businesses? Can you provide a work area free from allergens, smoke, kids, and pets? Will your homeowners insurance cover any accidents? Do you have adequate wiring and lighting? How is your parking?

I had given this serious thought at one time, but this location just won't do.
Well, the idea is something I can do with my kids. Sort of like a friend of mine who gives piano lessons from her home. I will be upfront that it's just a laid back type of environment, with children who will likely come to see what's going on from time to time. We don't smoke, and if they aren't comfortable with an in-home relaxed environment, I don't think they'll come! Lol* It's definitely not going to be like at the quilt shop - but the price is also to reflect that. We do have a dog who has his own room for company. My girls are very well behaved, and aside from saying hello and peeking in to see what's going on, they should do well and stay out of trouble.

The insurance and all that is why I don't want to do any "big business" type of thing. I figured maybe a couple of people a month. We have pleny of parking, a large driveway that can accomdate up to about 6 cars, 3 without having to park one in front of the other. If it progresses to anything larger to than a few people a month, however, and I do decide to move in the direction of opening a real business, I'll probably move it out of my home.

Thanks for the input, definitely things to think about! :)