Old 03-16-2017, 03:16 AM
GramMER

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I mostly machine quilt, but I'm working on a Hawaiian applique wall quilt and wanted to hand quilt it since it was hand appliqued. I started out doing the quilting with a big hoop. I've always struggled with my big stitches! I finally ditched the hoop and began quilting with the work unstretched in my lap. My stitches are smaller and better looking now that I'm not using the hoop. Seems so much easier.

Just wondering how many others hand quilt without any hoop or frame support? I'd love to hear your experiences.
When I first learned to quilt, the instructor for our class taught us lap quilting. We made our quilts in sections (added block by block) on our laps. We did the piecing, then made the sandwich for each block and set them all together in rows. It was a great way to learn and I believe (looking back at those days) the quilts were much more valuable because they were completely done by hand. What I liked best about that method was the fact that I could stuff a small section into a bag and carry it wit me to any office. Waiting for hourse in a doctor's or lawyer's office was not miserable time wasted because I had my work with me. For some reason I finished more quilts faster that way than I do these days making whole tops and sending them out to be quilted.