View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 04:49 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

One thing to keep in mind is that (to me anyway) there is a world of difference between frame quilting and sit down quilting. So I think you may wish to stick with tutorials that are frame FMQ as opposed to sitdown.

First, you need to review You tube videos on how to square up your backing and top, load the quilt sandwich on the frame, how to advance it properly and ensure you keep your quilt nice and square as you advance. You need to decide if you are more comfortable "floating" your top or securing it to one of the rails (I prefer to secure my top but that is a personal preference).

To me frame quilting is much more natural, I am still moving the "pencil" instead of having a stationary pencil and moving the "paper" which is what sit down FMQ is like. Once you are comfortable with loading the quilt sandwich the best way to get comfortable with your set up is to just practice and play. I definitely got a lot out of doodling and drawing my designs to get muscle memory for the movement. Jump in with both feet and don't be afraid to use this set up. Relax and have fun will get you much further than stressing over "perfection".