Old 03-18-2017, 08:07 AM
Quilterdale

Default Controlled Scrappy

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
To me, the best looking scrappiest are 'controlled' scrappies---they have have something that ties them together in a broad look. For example, they are primarily dark jewel tones, or light pastels, or bright primary colors. I guess the type or style of print doesn't matter as much as the overall color theme. I have just never been able to put a "true random" scrappy quilt together.
Almost every quilt I make is made from the scraps that are donated to me. People give them to me because I make a lot of quilts for our local firefighters to use to raise money, or to the breast cancer benefits held every year and that sort of thing. I believe VALUE is more important than color in making scrappy quilts. I'm posting two pictures of charity quilts I made so you can see that even though I use all pink scraps for the breast cancer awareness quilt, it looks like the ribbon is folded across itself because of the different values in light/dark I used. And the one made with one inch squares is the same. I used whatever piece of fabric came to hand but if it was light it got sewn to the light side and if dark to the dark side. If you look closely you will see that sometimes I miscalculated the value and put it in the wrong group. So what. It is still a lovely quilt and the people who receive them are very happy to get them. Do your own thing but pay attention to the value.
Attached Thumbnails pink-ribbon-special-fabrics2.jpg   meandering-quilting.jpg