View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 10:02 AM
peaceandjoy

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! What is ugly to some is lovely to others. Perhaps the fabrics you end up with will be nicer than you anticipate. Chances of 4 different "ugly" fq's coordinating are slim, though.

Are you committed to a "quilt"? A couple of things that are very forgiving and would use up fq's quickly are chenille potholders; they are relatively quick and easy. There are scads of examples and instructional tutorials on Pinterest.

Another non-quilt option would be a rope/clothesline basket. Again, there lots of info on Pinterest. I know some folks object to them b/c of the raw edges that do ravel a bit. I once saw a demo where the strips were folded in half first, with the raw edge always covered by the folded edge being wound over it. Possibly Alex Anderson showed it?

If you do go with a quilt, it is said that if it's still ugly, you haven't cut it small enough. Combined with a background fabric, ugly scrappy quilts can be beautiful. Bonnie Hunter has lots of free patterns available on her website, quiltville.com. Or strip sew some 4 or 9 patches and combine with a neutral block of same size, or a snowballed block. With scrappy quilts so popular right now, I'm sure you can find lots of examples online that would be fairly easy to make.