View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 PM
Kas

Ok. So here is what happened. I found a potted motor 201 on OfferUp and was able to negotiate the price to $60. When I showed up, he said he had dropped the foot controller and now it didn't run as well. He gave it to me for free! After I got it home and looked at it, I am glad I didn't pay anything for it but time and gas! All the shellac is cracked and flaking off, the thing is coated with thick, black grease, the brushes appear to have grease on them (not good!), the insulation for the motor wire running down the back of the machine is starting to wear, someone Sharpied over the Singer decal on the front and the hairpin decal "S" in the center of the bed, and the bobbin case was a horror show! I cleaned that and sewed a little bit and he works great! No tingling! Ha! Ha! I really want to restore the finish. I don't want to do a repaint because it's a Centennial! But the badge has black stuff on it and I don't know what to use to clean it, if it's even possible.

I will have to wait for my hubby to get home from a trip so he can use his impact driver to remove the motor. The two big screws holding it on are not budging and I am afraid of stripping them. Same with one of the gear cups. I must get it off to clean away all the axel grease or whatever they used. But all in all I am happy! And I am still buying the belted 201-3, too! Yay!