Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 AM
omak

I am late to the party, of course, but from the get-go, I would have counseled you to keep your home.
My father told me when I was young and a "free spirit" (HAH!) to get somewhere, commit myself to the community, become a part of it, and stay there!
Nothing good can come of moving here and there and hither and yon - - no connectedness to anyone, anything, or anywhere.
After thirty years, I have come to understand what my dad was trying to say! It doesn't get any easier to become part of a community as you get older, and with all the moving, setting up, breaking down, moving, and all - - I have missed out on a lot of blessings of being able to know what and where I am going to be tomorrow.
My father committed to an area he really didn't want to live in, when he married my mother, because his work ethic dictated that he provide for his wife and family in the best possible manner, and be self-reliant while doing it.
Go back in our nation's history just fifty years and see what the average USA citizen did that made America an outstanding leader of nations - - it wasn't the gypsy lifestyle <g>.
And, if you are a single mom with children, you have the unique opportunity of teaching your offspring to be as self-reliant as they can be. As someone mentioned - - a simple on-line word search will get the answer to almost any question one could have about getting a job done.
When we were kids, we resented that mom and dad expected us to do chores around the ranch. Our city cousins didn't have to work like that ... mom overheard us complaining to each other one day: "The only reason they had us was to make us do all their work!"
well, not exactly <g> but, when I became a mom of four (and, later a single mom of four) ... I decided to remove all doubts from my children's minds and just flat out told them: The only reason you are here is to do all of my work! (saved a lot of wondering on their part, I figured <g> one question answered and five hundred more to go, eh? LOL)
Anyway, what my parents actually accomplished was to raise FIVE adults who know how a good job should be done, where to go for help if it is bigger than we can do alone, why it is important to keep healthy minds engaged in worthwhile productivity, and what can be accomplished with some elbow grease and time.
So much easier to accomplish when you own your own home and property ... not so easy to impart when a landlord has become your second boss ...
I think you made the right decision. Good for you! <wave>