View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 AM
thrums

Default DYI fabric cutter

I know some of you can place a ruler on fabric for sub-cuts and cut, cut, cut; getting exact sizes every cut. But when I tried that method my cutting seemed to drift over the wof fabric...just enough to cause issues.

I was playing around with some re-positional tape yesterday and devised a method to make sub-cutting wof go much more quickly. (And I can do it easily sitting at my desk.)

1-I taped a long ruler (longer than width of the initial cut) vertically on my cutting mat with re-positional tape (no sticky residue).

2-I measure the length of the sub-cut from the edge of the vertical ruler and marked that with the edge of a piece of tape (placed vertically).

3-I simply slid the wof cut of fabric under the ruler until the outer edge reached the tape line.

4-I made sure the fabric was perpendicular to the ruler by adjusting it to the horizontal lines on the cutting mat.

5-I remeasured the length (measure twice cut once) and made my cut at outer the edge of the vertical ruler.

6-I slipped the next length under the vertical ruler, straightened, measured and cut.

It went quickly, once I got the hang of it.

(I put dots in the pic below so everything would line up. I hope it does on your monitor.)

........................................ruler
........................................ ||
.........................................|| measure sub-cut length and mark with tape
..............|
.........................................||
.........................................||

...........................................^...cut line

If I have helped one person, I will have done my job. :0)

Last edited by thrums; 03-19-2017 at 09:32 AM.