View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 12:46 AM
Feather3

The reason so many younger people have no knowledge of an iron is due to permanent press clothing & dryers. Back in my younger days we hung clothing on the line outside. Clothing, for the most part, was not permanent press, so you had to iron shirts, dresses, etc. Changes brought clothing that was tossed in the dryer & came out wrinkle free. You no longer needed an ironing board or iron. Kids today don't mind the wrinkled look. The consider it the norm.

I altered my Grand Daughter's prom dress last year. When her & her boyfriend arrived I was pressing it. She had no idea how to use an iron. She got a quick lesson.

Changes forced most stay at home Mom's to go to work, in order to pay the bills, because Dad's paycheck no longer covered it all. Mom's teaching time was used up at the factory or office. Dad's were forced to work longer hours & often 7 days a week. My husband's kids hardly ever saw him, as he worked those hours. Many Kids are basically raising themselves via computers & games.

Kids today lack all the education of many things we take for granted. Most couldn't plant/harvest a garden, mow a lawn, cook or bake real food (using the stove or oven), paint a room or fix/repair anything. They lack common sense. They seem to live for the day & don't look to the future. Many complain about having to go to work & earn a living.

Kids today are hard wired to cell phones & video games. I watch neighbors kids & just shake my head at the lack of every day things they have not been taught. It's not the parents fault tho. It's the major change in society that has caused this.

The industrial age brought many changes to the world, however the high tech age has caused a major rift in common sense & their ability to survive in the world. Some times change is good, but not always.