View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 10:55 AM
Elaine Michelle

Default Iron On Applique Quandary....

Hi everyone!
I'm new to QB...just joined a few minutes ago. I had no idea this site was so extensive and covers so many topics! Wow! Going to have fun here!
I have a question for ya'all, but I will give a little background on myself first. I live in Spokane Washington and operate a little cottage industry from my home in which I make and sell mainly iron-on appliques, but I also make what I call "finished edge" (for lack of a better term) appliques. (These are backed with muslin, stitched, turned and pressed, "pillowcase style.") My question deals with just the iron ons. Many of my iron on appliques are multi-layer, having a base shape (such as an owl body) and parts are added on (such as eyes, beak, etc.) to the base shape. Much of the time, these added parts are small-tiny. As of a day or so ago, I was exclusively using Heat n Bond Lite, which requires the user to sew all the parts down...something customers rarely want to do. This gets tedious because of the small parts on the appliques. So I decided to try backing the multi-layer appliques with H n B Ultra, which requires NO sewing. My issue is with LAUNDERING. My customers say they don't like the Ultra because it leaves a stiff applique. *sigh* So, here's my question. The product Steam a Seam Lite: If this product is used, 1. Will it lift after a cool wash/dry? 2. Will it leave a stiffness to the applique? I am trying to find an adhesive that will be easy for the customer to work with (easy for the backing paper to be removed, easy to understand instructions), will leave the applique sort of soft, and most importantly will not lift in a cool wash/dry. Am I chasing the elusive unicorn?