View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 01:17 PM
cathyvv

Have you picked out a pattern yet? What is the pattern?

An easy pattern to make is "Warm Wishes". It is made with strips and at least one focus fabric. It can be amazingly pretty for such an easy quilt. My absolute favorite quilt is a checkerboard quilt, which is two fabrics that alternate like the pattern on a checker board. It's easy, and a long time classic.

My advice is to have someone teach you how to cut the fabric, whether it is on line via u-tube or in person. After fabric and pattern choice, cutting correctly is the most important aspect of making a quilt. You can sew a seam to big or too small, but you can also take the seams out with a seam ripper. But once you cut, you can't put the fabric back together!

A 1/4 inch foot on your sewing machine is very helpful for seams that are the correct size. There are many tips for ensuring the seam is 1/4 inch, and this is a much discussed issue on this forum, so you can poke around and read them. It's not as easy as it sounds, but it's not that hard either. My 1/4 inch seams improved dramatically when I realized that I shouldn't be watching the needle when I sewed. It only goes up and down if you're sewing a straight stitch. After that realization, I started guiding the fabric along the edge of the presser foot. What a difference that makes!

Here's a link to Warm Wishes pattern.

http://www.ashevillequiltguild.org/A...or%20Linus.pdf