View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

There are lots more memories for me. My cousin and I used to roam the fields and timber when we were kids. We stopped in one cornfield and decided to rest in the storage shed. We sat there and watched a mama mouse carry her babies one by one up this ladder to a new nest. We had disturbed her so she was protecting her babies. My uncle stored seed corn in that shed.

My dad took me down through the corn fields and left me and my girlfriend there with my dad's little renault(stick shift) and told us to get it back to the house throught the cornfield track and he went back to the house! We crashed gears and killed it alot but we made it back to the house!

I remember 30 to 40 gunny sacks of sweet corn my FIL would pick and Glen's family would all gather to can corn. Dad made his own corn cutter to make the job go faster.

Lots of fun memories! Tho my strongest memory of my granpa Mills was him taking us to the basement and showing us a bushel of soy beans (his second crop after corn) and lecturing us on the future of soybeans. I remember him saying one day the soybean was going to be all over the world and would help solve world hunger. I wonder what he would think of how the soybean is used now! I didn't think I could do anything with soybeans tho!! LOL

I made the comment when I first saw this theme that Iowa is known for corn and hogs. I said I am not doing a quilt on corn and hogs!! But if you look at the back fabric there are hogs there!!!!! LOL Lots of memories there too!