View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 05:03 AM
PatPitter

Default Things that have changed in quilting

I started quilting in the early 90's. Sometimes I'm reminded of some of the early things I learned about quilting. I have some quilting books and magazines from the late 80's and early 90's. To me it's interesting to see how quilting has changed.

When I first started there were still plenty of "hand piecing is the only way" crowd. Rotary cutters and mats were just becoming popular. Many of the quilt magazines from the 90's were only about cutting out templates. Some didn't even include full quilts, just "here is the pattern for the block".

Of course most quilting of the sandwich was done by hand. I remember the machine quilting class I took - the goal was to use a stitch that looked like hand quilting.

Fabrics -- An early book I had said this about choosing fabric colors "choose a print fabric and then choose solids that match". ONE print fabric. Luckily I saw a quilt trunk show a few years later where the woman explained you really can put different prints together in a quilt. The way she put it was you can put together prints and colors you would never wear together. In the late 90's it was hard to even find quality solid fabrics.

What things have you seen change since you started quilting?