View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 02:32 AM
copycat

I think you would enjoy trying to quilt your own quilts vs paying a long arm quilting service because your quilts are throw size. Starting with a throw size is a great way to learn. If you wish to try quilting the top, one way is to divide the quilt into 4 equal sections by drawing a cross. (painters tape or 1/4" tape sold at sewing centers can be used if your fabric is too busy to see the marks). Quilt one section at a time, keeping the bulk of the quilt to your left of the needle. Lines can go horizontal in 1 section, and vertical in another. You are the designer, so you can choose.

Qayg Method: The link below has a video on the QAYG method that I just used. It is fantastic. *1 change I made was that I did not use fusible batting. I used my batting and spray basted the quilt top row to the batting and then the backing fabric to the batting, while making my quilt row sandwhich. Watch the video and/or the photo tutorial with written steps to explain the details. If your blocks are small, you can sew several rows together and then make your row quilt sandwich.

https://www.candiedfabrics.com/2014/...go-no-sashing/

Last idea: Rag Quilts are a great first quilt because the quilt is done after sewing the blocks together. The Missouri Star Quilt Company has a video as well as many others on u-tube. Good Luck and have fun!