Thread: Art quilts?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
zyxquilts

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
Here is some expert advise from someone who sells almost everything she makes:
The key to selling quilts at higher prices:
You are not selling to quilters, don't waste your time trying to sell at quilt shows.
Start out small in your town - local gallaries, township buildings, banks, high school gallaries, public buildings, stuff like that, build up your portfolio. Teach in your local quilt shop. Lecture at guilds and sewing machine stores to their machine applique clubs.
Professional pictures only. 5 x 7 for a compact portfolio. Photoshop all backgrounds black. (Consistant)
Have all pictures in a JPEG on your computer in a seperate file, ready to email when needed.
Write a professional letter, wait 6 weeks, call, invite him/her to your house to view the quilts hung. Be energetic (difficult I know) Say yes to everything.
Gallaries don't want large pieces, most of them can't handle them, the biggest I ever put in a gallery is 60" x 60", anything bigger is a commission.
DON'T FORGET: They will want 25-50%of the take. so you will have to mark your work up.
Keep an excell list of the name, size, your price, %, selling price.
One last thing, most gallaries want something different, no country, no cutesy. Get on gallary mailing lists and go to the openings and talk about yourself, have your business cards in your pocket and a pen.
My retirement is made up of all the money I make quilt related.
I am doing pretty good so far. Stay positive and don't ask your friends or husbands what they think of your work. I find they don't say what I want to hear anyway and I get upset.
Look into yourself - you are the creative one, not them.
Ask for the higher price, they can always bargain you down to a price you are happy with.
Thanks for the great info Teresa 54. :D
I had never heard of them until I saw them on thequiltshow.com. With all the different sizes listed, they do seem like they're moving into mass-production. Good on them for getting the big $$$ tho' - I think that helps us all. :D