View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Jennifer23

I have no faith in the new Singers - the quality control just isn't there.

What I would recommend depends on your situation. Do you think you're likely to quilt for years, or do you "dabble" and switch between hobbies? If you're a dabbler, I would suggest a basic Brother machine. If you think you will want to sew for years, a better machine is worth the investment.

Based on your choice of the Quantum 9960, I assume you're looking for a more than a basic machine. I suggest you look at the Janome 3160 - it's a great machine, and it comes with lots of quilting extras (extension table, walking foot, 1/4-inch piecing foot, etc). It's light but powerful, with a nice quiet motor, and excellent general quality. Buying from a dealer can also provide better support if you run into problems.

If you don't have a Janome dealer nearby, the Brother PC420PRW is a machine that lots of people recommend. It's available through Amazon, and probably some big box stores. It has a very similar feature set to the Janome 3160.

Whatever machine you pick, welcome to quilting! It's a wonderful hobby. You can find lots of inspiration, ideas and support on this board.