Thread: New blades
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 06:44 AM
Jennifer23

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
I watch the quilting and sewing shows and I see them just whizzing through their fabric effortlessly with their rotary cutters. I've had countless new Olfa blades through the years and mine never cut well without applying a lot of pressure which is why I really detest the cutting part of quilting. Anyone else have this problem?
This is interesting to me... I don't have this problem at all. I hardly use any pressure, especially with a new blade. I would be curious to watch you cut... I feel like something other than the blade is contributing to your difficulty. Do you belong to a guild, or have a LQS nearby that has sewing days? Maybe someone could watch you and make suggestions.

It might help to change the way you hold the rotary cutter? I was watching the Midnight Quilt Show with Angela Walters, and she has a real death grip on her cutter, and seems to use a lot of pressure and wobble a lot. Many times these problems are fixed by extending your index finger in front along the rotary cutter.