View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 03:57 AM
miriam
Power Poster

The home sewing machines are generally make to accept up to an 18 needle. Any bigger and they may not pass cleanly through the hole. They could strike the plate or rub thread on the hole causing thread to shred or strike the hook causing it to burr. If that machine was in my shop I would be looking at the hook and needle plate through a magnifying glass to be sure it is clean of burrs. I had to change out a plate on an industrial machine to accept a larger needle. Even then it was not ideal since it was made for speed not heavy fabric. I would also put in a NEW size 11 needle and see if it centers. You want NEW to be dead certain that needle isn't bent or dull when you test sew. If an 11 centers you should not make any adjustments if you have cleaned that machine well. Do not be in a hurry to adjust any machine until it has been thoroughly cleaned and oiled and has a brand new out of the package needle. For sewing your heavy weight fabric you need a size 18 needle. If after cleaning and checking to be sure the needle is centered with the NEW size 11 needle it still rubs you may have to adjust the needle position.

Last edited by miriam; 04-07-2017 at 04:04 AM.