Thread: Glue
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I love elmers washable school glue. I use it all the time for basting the quilt sandwich. It you type it into the search up above you will get a lot of information. I drizzle it on full strength in a random grid pattern on the batting and smooth the fabric over it. I lay the batting down and center first the backing. Then pull down the backing about half way or so depending on the size of your quilt. Drizzle on the glue. If you get a blob just smooth it out with your finger. Then pull up the fabric and smooth it out from the center. Repeat with other half. You can slide the sandwich around at this point if you need to have space. Then flip over and do the front. Let dry. Once it is dry it will not gum up or break a needle. I have done umpteen quilts this way. No clamping. No taping. No boards. Remember it replaces pin basting not spray basting. You don't have to cover every inch of your batting. Sometimes I practice meandering with the glue. When you are done quilting and wash your quilt it will all wash out. It has revolutionized my process and I have never had a pucker doing it this way. Try it on a scrap sandwich. And remember to use the washable stuff. Any brand seems to work for me.
Just wanted to add...use the glue full strength. I buy it by the gallon and dispense it from a plastic condiment bottle like they sell for ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. Works great, and the little cap attached keeps the leftovers from drying out. The glue will show through in spots, but a quick warm water wash when the binding is finished will take it right out. I even use this glue to hold appliqués in place while I hand stitch them in place. See my tutorial under "the appliqué tutorial I promised"

(I did try to post a link, but could not find the tutorial, some help?)

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-08-2017 at 08:39 AM.