Old 04-14-2017, 06:50 AM
CanoePam

I know the OP posted this quite a while ago, but since i think others are interested in the same topic, I will respond too.

If I know all I will be doing is piecing, I take my 1950s Featherweight. I bought it for $225 a few years back because the paint and decals aren't perfect, but the stitch absolutely is perfect! It even came with the (very stinky) original case which i dont use. I use a soft-sided tool carrier that has a hard plastic bottom that holds the machine perfectly with room to spare for accessories and even some small projects. It is just so much easier to carry around. I also bought a great seam guide at a quilt show years ago. It is a big piece of plexiglass that attaches to the bed of the machine with adjustable screws. I can set it up as a true 1/4" or a scant 1/4" as needed. It is from Nova Montgomery, and was around $10 when I got mine a number of years ago, probably more now.

When I need to use a non-straight stitch or I need to quilt, I take my Bernina 440. It is much heavier and harder to set up, but it is a great workhorse. However it does have a wide variety of stitches including various ones for applique work.

Pam