Old 04-18-2017, 08:59 AM
profannie

Default Advice for recreating a heavy tied old fashion style quilt

Hi there,
I do commission quilts and I got a special request to make a "like my grand-mother's" quilt. It's for a young man who wants this for his bed. From his description, I understood he was looking for a tied quilt; I sent him a picture of one I found on the web and he was unbelievably happy that I got it right. He told me it was like a dream coming true finding someone able to make him such a quilt.
He understand it is an handmade item and he's willing to pay for it. But I would love to keep it affordable for him, since he is quite young and I'm very touched by his desire to get a very old fashion item that will remind him of his childhood.
He would like the quilt to be as heavy as possible.
My first idea was to
1) make a wholecloth quilt on my longarm with all my batting leftovers and large piece of ugly fabric; this would serve as "batting"
2) make a simple layer cake top with corduroy fabric, and tie it to the "batting" with a recycled bed sheet
Would it work? I've never made a tied quilt before.
I also have a bunch of wool blanket, but since the young man really wants to sleep under his quilt, he will have to wash it. So it may not be the best choice.
Any thoughts will be most welcome! Members of this board always find solution to every problem :-)
Thanks!
Annie