View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 AM
athenagwis

No they are like a regular grandmother's garden with pieces of paper cut up to make the hexies and the fabric folded around that. The fabric and stuff is in a box that is for "Harvard Squares" from the James O. Welch Co. Which I guess was started in 1925 and bought out in 1963. Of course the box could have been (and probably was) added later, but unless someone held on to the box for 10 years before putting the fabric in it, it must be at least prior to 1963ish.

Okay I just did a little more hunting, the hexies have some that were made with newspaper (or magazine), so I pulled some of those out from the middle hexs and looked for clues. One was an article on farming, and the latest date I could find was 1950. It also had a date of 1948 and 1944. These dates were in the article though and of course I couldn't read much of it, but assuming that they weren't talking about future things (the 1950 one looked like an ad, so it was probably a very current date for this magazine), then it looks like the quilt was put together in 1950, which just means the fabric isn't past that, but of course could be older (how many of you have fabric older than 10 or 20 years!) But at least I know that at the very least it's 1950.

I'd love to hear more opinions, but I think 40's sounds reasonable (Anyone think possibly 30's?)

Thanks everyone!! I'll post some pics of the magazine hexies papers, they are pretty neat. :)

Rachel