Old 04-21-2017, 10:16 AM
selm

Originally Posted by karensue View Post
HI

I am going to be getting the Gammill Vision 26" and I can get $1,000 of accessories. Do I need the Leaders with zipped edge ($300)??
I am only quilting for myself and will not be taking the quilt off the frame until it is finished.

Secondly, I do want to learn ruler work.

Here is my other question, what accessories are the best for me to get ??

Thanks for ANY help and advice, as this is a really big (and last) purchase of this type for me.

Karensue
You don't need to spend that much to use zippered leaders. Here's a link to a company that sells the zippers:

http://stores.longarmconnection.com/quick-zip-system/

You need to add the zippers to your leaders yourself but it is easy to do. You need to get the "machine set" which includes the zippers for the leaders and a set for the quilt. Then you can get as many "renter sets"(only has quilt zippers) as you want so you can have more than one quilt on zippers at once.

I've used zippers from the beginning. While waiting for my zippers to arrive I did do a quilt or two with the pin method and found it tedious and I didn't like the extra time spent standing. I switched to zippers and have never regretted it.
You can sit anywhere to attach or remove the zippers(no standing at machine and no pins to stab you). I still use pins to start attaching batting and the top but the safety pins are great to work with(just never close them after using-much easier to use).
Look into the zipper set and I think you will like it.

Edited to add: I've never used a stand alone bobbin winder as you can wind a bobbin as you sew. Even if you find you need to wind a bobbin manually(run the machine to make bobbin wind) it only takes a few minutes. You definitely want the maintenance kit though. The other kit - I don't know you could probably get all that separately, although I don't know if it would cost more.

Last edited by selm; 04-21-2017 at 10:25 AM.