Old 04-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Iona D.

Originally Posted by mountainwoman View Post
I began quilting rag quilts and was taught to not prewash the flannel fabric; I've made several, and they turn out wonderfully. I then "graduated" to "real" quilting, so to speak (no insult to rag quilting........I think I should prewash the fabric. The backing -that also serves as the sashing and the binding- is Kona Cotton (steel gray); there are four different star war pieces of fabric to be put together as a panel of four, each separated by sashing per this technique There are some bright colors and some subdued colors in these fabrics; none of it was cheap, so I don't want to ruin it, potentially, through bleeding, or what ever. Okay, enough of this! I guess I scared to make this quilt. It would be easier to not prewash the fabric, but I just think I really should. SO, NO PROBLEM! Then I read that I should not use my regular fabric (Tide Pods). WHY NOT? I'm supposed to buy something like Orvas Quilt Soap. Huh?

So, since I really need to get started on this quilt, could anyone out there advise me about (1) prewashing/non-prewashing and (2) can I just use my average laundry detergent or do I have to buy something special like "Quilt Soap."

Thanks for helping a slowly maturing quilting novice!
As far as quilts go, I'm certainly no expert. But as far as matters of fabric & their properties, I think I can comment with more knowledge and confidence. I chose to prewash & dry everything using Shout ColorCatcher sheets in the wash to prevent dye staining the other fabrics as a favorite laundry aid along with baking soda & Borax. Most people would be grossed out if they could see what disgusting things which walks across the fabric in shipment & storage along with the usual finishes (which might trigger an allergy) and possible hidden debris. Shrinkage with good grade cottons is minimal. Still even that potential problem is addressed & eliminated as well when prewashed. If the final finished quilt product is a never used or washed as a personal contact bedding, napkins, tablecloths, runners and the like-a wall hanging or some other eye candy sort of decoration-I don't bother.

As for the choice of cleaning agents, I lean to the more proven sort of things like the laundry aids listed above. I (or rather my parents) used Tide many years ago for reasons I never could figure out. At first even I used it. Now I prefer a more gentle, yet as thoroughly cleaning, Arm & Hammer Skin Sensitive detergent for all my washable laundry needs. It is found in most stores, reasonable cost, and I personally don't see any difference with some commercially touted quilt soaps or whatever. If it's that delicate, I turned to hand washing with Woolite or Ivory.

I do encourage you to try all suggested methods before you settle on one or a few.

Last edited by Iona D.; 04-23-2017 at 10:23 AM.