Thread: Judy Niemeyer?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 11:58 AM
Jennifer23

Since you have actually done some paper piecing, a Judy N. pattern is reasonable, especially if you can do it in a workshop, class, or other group setting with someone knowledgeable around to help.

I made a paper-pieced placemat, then did Golden Harvest (a throw-sized Judy Niemeyer pattern). I did it as a class at a retreat; the instructor explained the pattern and got us started, and then gave help as needed. She left after the first day, and we were all able to finish without any big problems.

I think it would be a lot to tackle on your own, as there is a lot to read and figure out, but if that's your thing, give it a try. Start with the smallest, simplest pattern you can find (maybe a table runner?), and after that you will be ready for anything.

One thing that makes her patterns both easier and more complicated is that cutting templates are included, so you get all the fabric pieces cut to a good size before sewing. The complicated part is that you have to separate the cutting templates from the sewing templates, and make sure you're working with the right one all the time. Once you get them sorted, it's not that hard.