Old 04-27-2017, 12:17 PM
retiredteacher09

Congratulations LenaBeena for trying something new!

I'm in my mid 60's and attended a small school. I remember my home Ec teacher being super fussy about the grain line on my Aline skirt. It almost made me quit sewing! I don't remember when I started to sew but one or two of the neighbor girls (a mile away in the country) would come over and we would attempt to make Barbie clothes. Probably not the best thing to try on an old machine that sat in a cabinet but we had fun even if we got frustrated with little pieces! I also made a 'tent' dress like Zozee for a 4-H project. I made a quilt and tied it with my grandmother and cousin. That quilt went with to football games and track meets for our boys and now stays in my car for emergencies. It is probably 47 years old!

I'm glad I didn't get too discouraged because I made my wedding dress and one of my bridesmaid's dresses from a pattern. I have helped my great niece with a dress and an apron among other projects. I don't make any clothes now and sure don't miss making darts! Lol!

Connie

P.S. I took typing and shorthand in school and took college notes often in a mixture of shorthand and cursive. . I also still have my simple sewing box from shop class when the girls made a project and the boys took home Ec. I think it was only for a few weeks.