View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Corky

I, too, was worried about having too much stuff (I watched Hoarders) but the difference is that I don't keep stuff just to keep it and while my house is messy, it isn't dirty. I recently retired, my mom passed at the same time (I was her primary caretaker for many years, the last 5-6 were pretty difficult) and things got real stacked up. That said, I do have too much stuff, and so last year I hired a college girl and we went through closets and drawers and really did some de-cluttering. Since then I have gone through all my kitchen cupboards (how many sets of mixing bowls do you need? Plastic, glass, metal, white, wow!) I still have lots of stuff and a long way to go, but at least now I am feeling lighter :) I do not want to leave a mess for my kits and hubby to have to deal with. Now, onto my sewing room: I have an entire room filled with shop quality fabric and patterns and sewing supplies. But, as I go through it to find pieces for a project, I pull pieces that I will never use (the "what was I thinking?" pieces) and put them onto the free table at my quilt guild meetings or donate them to the guild raffle table or give to a friend. I never ever miss the pieces!!! Here are some pics of my computer room closet, before and after. I'll post more pics of before and after. It's pretty striking and very cathartic!

A closet of shelves in my computer room stuffed to the gills with papers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29165[/ATTACH]

Same closet after.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29166[/ATTACH]

This was my desk
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29277[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-29165.jpe   attachment-29166.jpe   attachment-29277.jpe