Thread: selling quilts
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 AM
klswift

Often time the problem with selling quilts (online or in a shop) is the pricing. Today people can go to a big store and buy what they think is a quilt for a fairly cheap price. They do not understand the time, the product involved and the quality of your product. I sell both online (thru Etsy) and at a local shoppe. But, I only sell throw or lap size and I NEVER buy product at retail prices. The only way to make a profit is to buy smart. I buy bulk batting when different places are running the killer-loss sales (the ones that are supposed to draw in the people). I only buy fabric on sale (super sales). If I find Kona on a really good sale, I may end up buying 100 yards of assorted solids for future use.
If making a throw quilt for family, it would be very easy to spend $100. For a quilt to sell, I rarely, if ever, spend more than $40. Also, my quilting, on a for sale item, is done on a minimal scale. I prefer STID or diagonal cross stitching, not only because of the product, but also the time involved. This is the only way you can make a profit selling quilts today. It is still an item I am pleased to put my name on, just held to lower cost and shorter time - because your time is money.