Thread: selling quilts
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 07:28 AM
bkay

I considered the idea. Two things dissuaded me. One was this post: http://katiesquiltingcorner.com/2013...ll-quilts.html. The other was the price I pay for quilts and quilt tops at estate sales. I bought a beautiful, hand quilted full size quilt a couple of weeks ago for $75.00. (It appeared to be new.) I've bought hand pieced Dresden Plate squares for a full size quilt for $10.00. Of course, that was the last day of the sale. It means no one was willing to pay $150.00 for that quilt or $20.00 for those squares.

Also, the long armers in the area charge $.02 per square inch for computer quilting. On some, thread is additional. I just finished a large double bed quilt top and it is going to cost about $140.00 + thread and sales tax to get it quilted. That's just the long armer, not fabric and supplies. She's not getting rich, either.

There is no shortage of available, high quality quilts or low quality quilts, either, for that matter. Any time there is a large supply of an item, the price will be low.

I'm sure you'll be able to sell them. Try Facebook, local online selling venues like Ebay (in the U.S., we have Craigslist, Offer UP and those kinds of things). You might not recoup your investment, though.

Bkay