Old 05-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Iona D.

Default The Great Seam Question-Which Is The Right/Proper Allowance Width?

While I was developing my next project to the next level (calculating & adding the seam allowance width to the new self drawn pattern), one thought kept tickling & teasing my thoughts. The thought being the selfsame title of this post.

The customary practice in traditional quiltmaking is 1/4 inch. Or some prefer a scant 1/4 inch which really does set it apart from a plain old 1/4 inch (yes, needle position, pressing, & seam direction makes a huge difference in the finished block's size). In the fashion apparel workrooms or factories, it most likely the width of the industrial machines' own feet (which is approx. 1/4 inch depending on the sewing machines' own make) which was carefully pre-measured way beforehand and added in the construction process at various times depending on the company's own practices. Then the seam(s) are usually sheared off with overlock/sergers during or afterwards and the only visible seam left is a pretty super skinny chain stitched finished one. In home sewing's commercial patterns it is 5/8 inch unless otherwise specified. On top of all this in most other counties, the Metric system is practiced and either is converted to the Imperial/English system or simply used entirely by itself. What is a person to do with all these possibilities?

What I do within my own sewing nook, I choose one above and follow through. I select one based on past experience, use and even abuse (including washing/drying) of the finished product, even a occasional whim at times. My goal(s) of the finished product is always accuracy, durability, & minimal waste during construction. And doing what I have been doing for so long works?
You better believe it.
Minimal stress, worry, and seam ripping! Who could ask for anything more?

We all must be the masters of our own sewing destinies within our own sewing areas! It is truly your time to be yourself.