Old 05-02-2017, 03:32 AM
NJ Quilter

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I start with a pattern that I want to make and buy fabric for that pattern. Sometimes the pattern calls for a specific fabric line and because I want that look, I buy the new line. If it doesn't call for a fabric line, I look for the fabric I want at the best price whether it is at the LQS or online. I don't have much stash as a result of the way I buy and I am happy with that. I usually give pieces of fabric I decide not to use, or fabric left over to my daughter-in-law. I know I am in the minority or even a rarity, but it works for me.
This is what I do as well. First, I don't have room for a stash. Second, I'm not overly creative on my own and prefer to start with a pattern of some sort in mind. I do over-buy for that given pattern and will hang on to some larger pieces for small projects or test blocks but otherwise give my leftovers to another local quilter who is far more creative and prolific than I am. True 'scraps' I'll give to others.

My tastes change frequently and I'd hate to have fabrics hanging around that ultimately fall into the 'what was I thinking' category or the 'why didn't I buy more of this' category.