Old 05-02-2017, 04:38 AM
PatPitter

When I first started quilting in the early 90's I bought from Joann's and Hancock's. In the late 90's I spent more at LQS. I could afford it and it was higher quality fabric. Then LQS fabric was about $8.00 per yard. Now it's at least $12.00 per yard. My income has not gone up at the same rate as their prices.

I haven't done much quilting in the last 7 years and therefore haven't bought much fabric during that time. I've only found a small amount at thrift stores even though I frequently go thrifting. I don't care much for what I find at Joann's and it's a trouble to drive to the nearest one. I have bought some Walmart fabrics. I do order from online places that have lower prices. It's okay if the fabric line is a discontinued one.

This past weekend I did go to the LQS because I wanted some fat quarters of specific solids. I needed to see them in person to pick out what I wanted. I bought a couple of yards of some fabric they had on clearance for $5.99 per yard. I also picked up some batik fat quarters that were on sale and a bottle of Roxanne's glue.

I read some of the blogs written by quilt store owners that talk about how we should support them because they are just trying to support their family. That's well and good but I also have bills to pay.

One LQS near me closed last year after being around for about 18 years. I don't know if it was lack of customers or if the owner decided it was time to retire. I heard the other LQS is struggling. I noticed they are now offering online purchases. They've been around about 12 years. They have one employee who has never been friendly to me. Also, their fabric selection doesn't always match my tastes.