View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Wonnie

Default stuffing lightbulb moment

The family always wanted more stuffing than I could "stuff" in a bird during the holidays so I would prepare it but instead put it in a very large casserole dish and bake it separately. Was very often disappointed with the result though because there was always a thick crust on the bottom and sides when finished baking that no one particularly liked so we were still left with less stuffing than desired. So, one holiday I decided, on a whim, to try something different. I lined the bottom and sides of my large casserole dish with slices of fresh white bread then piled the stuffing directly on top of it and covered it with foil. Baked it as usual at 350 and took the foil off the last 15 or so minutes before I was ready to remove it from the oven. Was surprised and delighted to find the bread was toasted (not burnt !!) and the stuffing had not stuck to the bread and I ended up with all of it. Have done it numerous times since and always works. So, why do we have to wait till the holidays to have stuffing. Sounds mighty tasty right now with pork chops!