Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 PM
NZquilter

Default Marking a Quilt Design as an Overall Design

I need a bit of help here. I was originally going to quilt my En Provonce MQ with just a simple meander quilting, but yesterday I was browsing though my book of quilting designs and a lovely vine and flower design jumped out at me and asked to be used instead. I can't seem to get the idea out of my head, so I guess its there to stay until I quilt it!

My problems: I want to do it from end to end like how a longarmer quilter would use a pantograph but I only have a domestic sewing machine. Any suggestions on how to transfer the design from the book onto the quilt? I do have the crayola ultra-washable markers, so should I make a stencil somehow and draw it on? If so, any ideas where to buy good quality template plastic? My fabric is too dark to simply trace the design on. I tried tear away paper on a sample, but it was a pain to tear away between all the tiny stems and leaves, so I can't imagine doing that over an entire quilt! I also tried the old fashioned cinnamon pounce method, but it won't work for machine quilting.

I have had this question going through my mind for the past day and would love any ideas and tips! Thanks, friends!