Old 05-06-2017, 04:53 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I am a big marker but the way you describe the design I bet if you practice enough you may be able to do it free hand without marking the entire design but simply mark your quilt with a grid to keep the scale and placement. Or perhaps just mark the flowers and connect them with the freeform vine and leaf. You may even be able to use the piecing as your point of reference with no marking at all. If I were you I would get some big pads of cheap newsprint paper or a whiteboard and dry erase markers and practice drawing your motif over and over again, meandering all over the surface so you memorize how to keep the design continuous without quilting yourself into a corner. Repetitive drawing of a quilting pattern really helps me a lot when attempting a new quilting design.

Edited to add, if you decide to just mark one element of your design (say the flower) I have made marking templates out of watercolor paper, it is heavy, like card stock but can be cut easily with scissors. I simply place it on my quilt top where I want it and trace around it. I have found on multi colored quilts I have the best luck with chalk. If the design goes over a light fabric and I can't see the chalk I will go over that part only with a blue water soluble marker. But chalk is tough when quilting on a domestic as it can rub off with all the handling. You can go around the cardstock with a crayola washable marker too but you just need to find a color you can see on all the different fabrics.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 05-06-2017 at 04:57 AM.